This modular AR headset kit from Polaris AR provides developers with all of the necessary electronics and mechanical components, including the 3D-printed plastic parts, to assemble a Project North Star headset. (Leap Motion Controller not included.) As well as headset kits, individual components can be purchased for your set-up – including the lenses, display drivers boards, and high-resolution 120Hz-capable displays specified in Leap Motion’s North Star reference design.
The kit currently includes the parts necessary to build North Star v3, and the 3D-printed plastic parts offered are those for the v3.1 Simplified Optics Bracket variation, which is a more rigid part and easier to assemble. As Project North Star evolves, elements of the design will inevitably be improved. So Polaris AR enables you to stay up-to-date with the latest iterations by offering you the newest individual parts and components for your builds – so no longer do you have to invest in your own 3D printer or source hard-to-find components.
There are multiple categories of components that go into constructing a Project North Star headset, so we’ve brought them all together to make it much easier for developers out there to either get started with their own build or bring their current builds up to spec. These components include:
- Specialized and hard-to-find parts: Combiners (aka lenses or reflectors), Display Driver Board, and displays.
- Off-the-shelf mechanical components: Screws, springs, aluminum bars, foam padding, headband resizer, etc.
- Accessories: Cables, USB extension cable power adapter, display driver debug header adapter, etc.
- 3D-printed plastic mechanical components: Optics bracket, electronics tray, slide mechanism, display holders, etc.
The AR Headset Kit Options
Our kits include the following options:
- Kit A Includes: everything from categories 1, 2, and 3, plus the assembly tools.
- Kit B Adds: the 3D printed parts, for those who do not own or have access to a 3D printer.
- Kit C Includes: a fully assembled and pre-calibrated headset, for which the individual calibration profile will be emailed to buyers. Kit C also includes the assembly tools in case purchasers want to replace or upgrade their assembled headset.
The kits are now available for pre-order. This first run of limited availability will begin shipping from the following dates:
- Kit A – June 15th 2019
- Kit B – June 20th 2019
- Kit C – June 30th 2019
*** Technical Resources ***
This headset kit requires a certain level of technical expertise. Please consult these technical resources before purchasing: